Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Annual Advent Post

It seems like every year I have to do a post around Advent. Maybe this is just the time of year when I get inspired...

In the United Church of Christ, we believe that "God is Still Speaking."

God is still speaking to the church, still guiding us, still growing us, still challenging us. I have been, along with many of our congregants, EXTRA challenged in the last 48 hours or so. God is still speaking to us as individuals... every moment of every day of our lives, there is the chance that God will say something to any one of us... it might be a great thing, or a small thing. Sometimes God speaks with silence, and sometimes God shouts at us in a deafening roar.

I finally, reluctantly joined Facebook this year. After some painful and cathartic moments in a church meeting, I came home to find the following things posted at random by fellow Facebookers:

Zinger of the day part 1: “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.” Dale Carnegie

Zinger of the day part 2: "Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected from happening."

Zinger of the day part 3: A motivational video that talked about upping your output just a little bit more to achieve great things.

God is shouting at me right now... Now I have to figure out what to do with that.

3 comments:

Merrit said...

I love this Holly. I am reminded of a statement made by the former Senator Obama when he was asked, "considering all the turmoil right now, do you really still want to be President?" In his reply, he basically said that huge progress was made not in times of ease but in times of challenge and turmoil, and he wanted to be a part of it.

Gene said...

I've always liked this one by Zig Ziglar, "some people find fault like there was a reward for it." Keep the faith!

Merrit said...

Love it Gene! So true. Why is it so much easier to find fault than to give praise?